To My Team & Everyone Else (I’m all inclusive like that!):
The Central Texas Out of the Darkness Experience (aka the Walk) – “a journey of remembrance, hope, and support that unites our communities and provides an opportunity to acknowledge the ways in which suicide and mental illness have affected our lives and the lives of those we love and care about” is this Saturday, October 24th.
The walk officially runs between the hours of 9 AM to 1 PM.
You choose your location, the distance you want to travel (a good time to check that mailbox or meander over to the 7-11 (Wag-a-bag if you’re in the Round Rock area – you do you, you special ray of walking sunshine)), and your start time. This year you won’t have to search around for a parking spot or fight the crowds downtown. This year you support a cause in your own way – just make it Saturday or lie about it later. Who will know? (Your conscience. That’s who will know.)
Have you wanted to join, but not felt like hassling with the official website?
Well, my friend I have a deal for you! You can now join my team off the books. (Psst, you always could. You knew that, right?) What can I say? I mean, call me magnanimous, benevolent, generous, altruistic, kind, incredibly damn sexy – you could go on and on, I know. No seriously, go on – keep that flattery coming. I mean, I’ve never actually had my own sycophant, so consider this your audition. Genuflect? Why, thank you! Who am I to insist you stand? Just avoid the hassle of officially signing-up to walk for my team. Online forms, am I right? And don’t give a second thought to the fact that I want the biggest team, nor that I will judge you if we’re #2 in number of walkers and your laziness kept me from another framed award. Hey, at least you’re saving yourself from an unsolicited email or 500 by joining that way AND you’re still walking. I’m here for you.
BUT whether you’re an official walker or one of the more covert, off-the books walker, here’s my ask (serious face now):
- Send me a photo of you walking that day. This will be used in a post-walk collage. I may post it, so if you don’t want your image shared, let me know. I do still want to see your face.
- I want to do a video where my walkers (you) pass something to another person. This can be related to the walk, your feelings, or Jay. If you’d like to participate, here’s my ask:
- You receive the item from the right (a heart, a candle, a photo of Jay (contact me if you need a photo) or whatever you want to do.
- You pass your item to the left
- You say why you’re walking (or you can be silent, too), but if you choose to speak think of saying something along the lines of why you walk. It could be fairly simple/short: “I walk to raise awareness.” “I walk for Jay.” “I walk to keep Beth from hunting me down and giving me the socially distant stink eye.” Or say whatever you feel – it could be the lyric of a song, a poem (I dig slam poetry), you could sing, play an instrument – go crazy (please, don’t go crazy – that would be wildly inappropriate)
- Hold each movement for a beat or two: The receiving action, the holding the item for the camera action, and then the passing action.
- The video should be between 5-10 seconds (unless you’re singing, you sing! Take all the time you need! You’ll likely be the feature, and I will genuinely applaud you – seriously, I would – I’m not opposed to someone more talented and creative doing something bigger – if it comes from the heart, it will be amazing)
- The video can be filmed on your phone. I will provide upload info – just let me know you have the video ready.
- Let me know if you will participate in this part.
Are you ready to walk on Saturday?!?
Also, real quick: a huge thanks guys for making this virtual walk so successful – whether you’ve agreed to be a walker, you’ve donated to AFSP, or you’ve sent words of encouragement. It’s all appreciated!
I love you guys! You’re the best! Especially you. You’ve always been my favorite.
“off the book walkers!”, Love the video ideas.
You have such a great style of writing. Lures/encourages better than puppies and kitten pictures.
Everything is on pause here until Sr Staff’s Friday procedure and result clearance – probably just good to see if any reoccurrence, but keeping things calm is driving me nuts.
Sending lots of encouragement for your success. Go virtual team go!
Sending lots of good wishes your way! RC and Molly need their staff in top top shape with Hollering just around the corner! (Hollering is still one of my all-time favorite play on words and so very perfect, especially this year!)
Also, thank you for all of the encouragement! I’m super proud of my team; we’ve done really well – a lot people came together to support this cause, and we’re currently sitting at #1 in fundraising. To think I nearly didn’t have a team. I was worried about bothering folks during a pandemic, but shoot… they really came through! Super proud of them!
Will be sending Staff lots of positive energy on Friday!! You deserve to “treat yo’self” afterwards, which Staff may not be up to immediately, but any day following works for treats – regal paws have helped me see the light of day on this point.
Thanks. Just being positive that this is all precautionary until otherwise informed…you can worry yourself sick – always believed that., HUGS and CHEERS – onward through the fog!